You might have already mastered how to distinguish between a “Focus” and a “Find” to get a dynamic Top 10. See my Tip on this if you have not already understood the first step.
But what if you want to find the top 10 of any dimension within a higher level category? Like Top 10 Products per Store, or Top 5 Students within a Department, or Top 20 anything within anything else?
Follow the steps below and you will quickly be able to create a dynamically changing report that finds the Top (n) of any dimension based on your selected value, and will also change depending on your time series or other “Quickview” filters.
1. First Dive on the Dimension that is the category within which you wish to list the Top 10 of another Dimension.
2. Then use the “Multitab” icon to change the arrows on the console to horizontal and dive on the Dimension for which you want to find the Top 10 items.
3. Then using the “Organise” menu choose “Sort”.
4. Sort Up by the first Dimension and Down by the Value field you have chosen to order your Top 10.
5. If you scroll down the page you will now notice that each Category has the second Dimension sorted down within it, by the value you have chosen for the sort.
6. This next step is slightly different from the Find on a straightforward Top 10. Select the “Find” icon and click on the button “Advanced Find”.
7. Then choose the button “First n Items” and then insert your chosen Top “n” e.g. 10 followed by a comma, then click on the dimension you are working with. Then click “Find All”. Because you have already sorted by your chosen value field, you will get the Top 10 by that Value field within your first Dimension.
8. You should end up with something like this. But it would look much better formatted as a report – so click the “Report” icon.
9. You have several options for Multitab reports – here is the one I used with certain preferences checked.
10. And here is the style I chose – again you can choose any colour, border, background, font style and size.
If you have any questions about this post, or any other queries, please just Ask Anthony though the form below.